- Conference: Advances
of Multidimensional Vibrational Spectroscopy in Water, Biology and
Materials Science, 20.07.-24.07., Telluride Science Research Center,
Telluride, USA. Participants: Jens
(invited talk). [canceled]
- Lara joins our group for her BSc research - a warm welcome!
- Conference: 119th Bunsentagung, 01.04.-03.04., Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany.
Participants: Jan, Hendrik (posters), Erhan, Julian, Luuk
(talks), Jens. [Canceled]
- Conference: DPG Frühjahrstagung, 15.03.-20.03., Dresden, Germany.
- Invited talk (Jens): IPTC Seminar of our colleagues in chemistry, 03.02.2020.
- Welcome to Carolin Feid and Valentin Franz, who are starting their MSc research. Great to have you in the team!
ECSBM - European Conference on the Spectroscopy of Biological
Molecules, 19.08.-22.08., University College, Dublin, Ireland.
Participants: Julian (talk), Jens
- Conference: Vibrational Dynamics, 08.07.-12.07., Telluride Science Research Center, Telluride, USA. Participants: Jens
- Georg is awarded the Lehrpreis des Fachbereichs Physik (award for excellent teaching) - congratulations for this great achievement!
- Our application for beamtime at BESSY is fully accepted!
warm welcome to Yunxia Shen, who joined the group for her BSc project
and to Rafael Thun and Alexander Kondratiev, who started their MSc
research. Great to have you here!
- Invited lecture series on 2D-IR spectroscopy at the new Cluster of Excellence AIM (Advanced Imaging of Matter), 18.03.-20.03., Hamburg, Germany (Jens).
- Congratulations, Adriana, for beeing awarded the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions Seal of Excellence of the European Commission!
691th WE-Heraeus Seminar on Physical Organic Chemistry,
18.02.-21.02., Physikzentrum Bad Honnef, Participants: Jens (talk).
- The first paper from our joint DFG Project with Ned Budisas lab (TU Berlin) is accepted and awarded VIP status in Angewandte Chemie International Edition (awarded to less than 5% of the manuscripts). It reports on "Observation
of Site-Resolved Vibrational Energy Transfer Using a Genetically
Encoded Ultrafast Heater". Thanks to the Berlin Crew - it is a great
- Our DFG research training group CLiC (Complex Light Control) will be funded for another 4.5 years. Congratulations to our students for their great work!
- Adriana Huerta Viga is awarded a prestigious Humboldt Fellowship to join our group in the beginning of next year. Congratulations, Adriana! We look forward to having you here.
- Jens is appointed as a member of the access panel of the Central Laser Facility near Oxford.
- Erhans and Katharinas paper An automatic liquid nitrogen refilling system for small (detector) Dewar vessels was chosen as an Editor´s Pick in Rev. Sci. Instr.
- Patrick joined us for his BSc research in Biophysics - welcome, Patrick.
- A warm welcome to Sarah, who joined us for her BSc in Biophysics.
- Invited talk (Jens): PC Seminar, Heinrich Heine Universität, Düsseldorf, 07.05.2018.
- Invited talk (Luuk): Max Planck Institute for Polymer Science, Mainz, 03.04.2018.
- Conference: ACS National Meeting, 18.03.-22.03., New Orleans, USA. Participants: Jens
- Sebastian joined us for his Chemistry F-Praktikum, great to have you here.
- Marcel joins us for his BSc thesis in biophysics. A warm welcome!
- Conference: Applications
of IR Free-Electron Lasers: Latest Developments and Future Directions,
17.01.-20.01., Ringberg Castle, Germany. Participants: Luuk
- A warm welcome to our new PhD student Hafiz Ahmed Masood!
- Our collaborative work with Irene Burghard and Fabrizio Santoro Vibrationally
resolved electronic spectra including vibrational pre-excitation:
Theory and application to VIPER spectroscopy was selected for the Editor´s Choice Collection of J. Chem. Phys.
- Invited talk (Jens): Van't Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences, Universiteit van Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 20.11.
- Erhan is awarded a Doctus Fellowship of the Stiftung Polytechnische Gesellschaft for his PhD research - Congratulations!
- We welcome Andy Lee for his BSc research project in biophysics!
- We welcome our new secretary Christine Storck-Ratnam!
welcome two new Biochemists, Christian and Matthias, who are very much
interested in spectroscopy - in which case this is a good place for
their research praktikum.
- We are happy about Deniz' decission to continue his research in our group for his Master thesis!
Time Resolved Vibrational Spectroscopy (TRVS 2017),
16.07-21.07., Churchill College of the University of Cambridge,
UK. Participants: Jens
(invited talk), Carsten, Julian, Katharina, Larissa, Luuk (posters).
- Invited talk (Jens): Physikalisches Kolloquium, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität, Freiburg, Germany, 26.06.
- Larissa and Katharina recieve travel stipends of the Freunde und Förderer der Goethe-Univeristät to participate in the TRVS 2017 in Cambridge. Congratulations!
- Luuk receives a travel stipend of the Bunsengesellschaft for participating in the Bunsentagung 2017 in Kaiserslautern. Congratulations!
Quantum Dynamics and Spectroscopy in Condensed-Phase Materials and
Bio-Systems, 21.-26.05., Les Houches, France. Participants: Jens
(invited talk), Daniela (poster).
- Conference: 116th Bunsentagung,
25.-27.05., TU Kaiserslautern, Germany. Participants: Katharina (talk),
Luuk (talk, poster), Carsten, Erhan, Julian, Larissa (posters).
ACS National Meeting, 02.-06.04., San Francisco, USA. Participants: Jens
warm welcome to our PostDoc Bartosz Błasiak! Bartosz graduated from
Minhaeng Cho's lab and will work on vibrational solvatochromism.
- The joint DFG proposal of the Budisa lab (TU Berlin) and the Bredenbeck lab got funded!
- Group outing - following our proven concept of culture and action: After a guided tour through many centuries of Frankfurts history at the Historisches Museum,
we enjoyed a short stop over at the cristmas market for lunch. In the
afternoon bouldering was on the program, followed by a well-deserved
dinner at Terranova.
- Invited talk (Jens): Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München, Germany, 03.11.
- Invited talk (Daniela): Heinrich Heine Universität, Düsseldorf, Germany, 24.11.
- Erhan Deniz joined the group for his PhD research - a warm welcome!
- Conference: 25. Lecture Conference on Photochemistry, Jena, Germany, 26-28.09. Participants: Daniela (poster), Jens (talk).
- Conference: Electrochemistry 2016, Goslar, Germany, 26.-28.09. Participants: Julian (poster).
Coherent Multidimensional Spectroscopy VIII (CMDS), 29.06-01.07.,
Groningen, The Netherlands. Participants: Carsten (poster), Jens
(talk), Luuk (poster), Youssef (talk).
- Group outing: canoeing on Lahn River. Just made it before the thunderstorm.
- Conference: 115th Bunsentagung,
05.-07.05., Universität Rostock, Germany. Participants: Luuk
(talk), Carsten, Daniela, Julian, Katharina, Kilian, Marcus (poster). Rike presented the Wilhelm-Ostwald-Award lecture. Daniela was awarded the PCCP poster prize for her poster on the VIPER project within the CLiC research training group - congratulations!
- Conference: OWLS 2016 (Optics Within Life Sciences), 16.-19.03., Mumbai, India. Participants: Luuk
- Invited talk (Jens): Rice University, Houston, USA, 09.03.
- Invited talk (Jens): Tulane University, New Orleans, USA, 07.03.
- Invited talk (Jens): Oregon State University, Corvallis, USA, 03.03.
- Invited talk (Jens): University of California, Irvine, USA, 01.03.
- Award ceremony for the Wilhelm-Ostwald-Nachwuchspreis
for Rike by the Whilhelm Oswald Gesellschaft
(WOG), Deutsche Bunsengesellschaft (DBG) and Gesellschaft
Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh), 14.11., Großbothen. GDCh press release. Participants: Rike, Jens.
DFG Round Table Discussion on Photoreceptors, 08.-12.10., Abtei
Frauenwörth, Frauenchiemsee. Participants: Jens (invited talk).
- Conference: Vibrational Dynamics, 27.-31.07., Telluride Science Research Center, Telluride,
USA. Participants: Jens (invited talk).
- Conference: Journées d'Electrochimie, 6-10.07.,
University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy. Participant: Youssef (Poster).
- Invited talk (Jens): GDCh Kolloquium, Universität des Saarlandes, 15.06., Saarbrücken, Germany.
- Conference: TRVS 2015: 21.-26.06., University of Madison, USA. Participants: Luuk (2 posters), Rike (1 poster).
- Talk at the Night of Science: "Wie bewegen sich Moleküle - und wie finden wir das heraus?". Speaker: Jens.
- Rike is selected for the Wilhelm-Ostwald-Nachwuchspreis
for her PhD thesis. It is awarded by the Whilhelm Oswald Gesellschaft
(WOG), the Deutsche Bunsengesellschaft (DBG) and the Gesellschaft
Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh). Congratulations!
- Conference: 114th Bunsentagung, 14.-16.05., Ruhr Universität Bochum, Germany. Participants: Youssef (talk), Luuk (talk).
- Invited talk (Jens): Max-Planck-Insitute for Polymer Research, 17.02., Mainz.
- Rike successfully defends her thesis and recieves a distinction for the defense.
- Welcome to Nicole Seibert, who joins the group for her Master thesis!
- Exciting group tour. After 90 min in complete darkness at the Dialogmuseum (a visit is highly recommended) we where sufficiently dark adapted for Lasertag. We had dinner at Frankfurter Küche, a traditional place next to the new EZB.
- 17.12.: Christmas Party!
Kuzmin, Irkutsk Institute of Chemistry, Russian Academy of Science joins out lab on a DAAD fellowship - welcome!
19th International Conference on Ultrafast Phenomena, 7. - 11. July
2014, Okinawa. Participants: Rike (talk), Luuk (talk).
- Selected as HOT article in PCCP: Vibrational
dynamics and solvatochromism of the label SCN in various solvents and
hemoglobin by time dependent IR and 2D-IR spectroscopy.
113th General Assembly of the German Bunsen Society for Physical
Chemistry, 29. - 31. May 2014, Hamburg. Participants: Carsten (talk), Luuk (poster).
- Invited talk: SFB 658, 15.05., FU Berlin, Germany. Speaker: Jens.
- Our research training group (Graduiertenkolleg) Complex Scenarios of Light Control (CLiC) will be funded by the DFG! See here for the press release.
warm welcome to our new group members Jan Löffler (Biophysics, BSc
thesis) Kilian Fehre (Biophysics, BSc thesis) and Markus
Mikorski (Physics, MSc thesis).
Kuzmin, Irkutsk Institute of Chemistry, Russian Academy of Science
is awarded a DAAD fellowship to join our lab in October -
and Rike's papers for the Ultrafast Phenomena 2014 in Japan are
accepted as oral contributions. Congratulations, Luuk and Rike!
- Conference: DPG-Spring Meeting, AMOP Section, 17. - 21. March 2014, Berlin. Participants: Daniela (talk).
- Katharina and Carsten hand in their Master Thesis - congratulations!! Both decided to pursue a PhD in the group :-)
- Invited talk (Jens): GDCh Kolloquium, TU Darmstadt, 17.12., Darmstadt, Germany.
- Rike is awarded a Marie-Curie fellowship
- well done! Rike will move to Dwayne Miller's group in Toronto and
Hamburg next month to work on ultrafast electron diffraction. Have fun with the electrons :-)
- Tim Vogt (Physics) joins our group for his master thesis - welcome Tim!!
- Conference: Vibrational Dynamics, 22.-26.07., Telluride Science Research Center, Telluride,
USA. Participants: Jens (invited talk).
- Andreas receives the Gernot und Carin Frank-Preis of the Frankfurter Förderverein für physikalische Grundlagenforschung for his dissertation - congratulations!
- Nick Bredenbeck is born on 02.06.!!!
- Conference: 112th Bunsentagung,
09.-11.05., Karlsruhe, Germany. Participants: Jens (talk), Manuel
(Poster). Manuel was awarded a hot topic poster prize for the poster "Ultrafast switching dynamics
& solvation shell rearrangements of a photo-switchable
catalyst" by Manuel, Luuk, Jens and our collaborators Susanne Gruetzner
and Stefan Hecht - well done!
- Conference: TRVS XVI, 19.-24.05., Beppu, Japan. Participants: Luuk
(Poster). Luuk recieved a poster prize for his contribution - congratulations!
- Rike is invited by Chancelor Angela Merkel to the conference "Frauen in Führungspositionen".
- A warm welcome to our new group members Yannick Senger (Biophysics, BSc thesis)
and Carsten Neumann (Physics, MSc thesis)!
- Conference: DPG-Frühjahrstagung der Sektion AMOP, 18. - 22. März 2013,
Hannover, Universität Hannover. Participants: Manuel (talk), Luuk (talk).
- Andreas succesfully defends his PhD thesis and recieves a distinction - congratulations!
- Installation of Laser System III and IV is finished!
- Katharina returns from Heidelberg and starts her MSc project. Finally group lunch again ;-)
- Christmas Celebration of the Biophysics Institute, 19.12.
- Invited talk (Jens): TU München, Kolloquium Physikalische und Theoretische Chemie, 19.11., München,
Deutsche Physikerinnen Tagung, 25.-28.11., Freiburg, Germany.
Participants: Rike (talk), Daniela, Katharina, Larissa (shared poster).
The poster entiteled "IR-Spectroscopy and Artificial Amino Acids: A
Great Couple for Protein Biophysics" was awarded a poster prize -
and Daniela hand in their BSc thesis - Congratulations!! Both decide to
continue working in the group as research assistants :-)
- Invited talk (Jens): GRK
"Chemical Photocatalysis", 11.-12.10., Regensburg,
- Andreas hands in his PhD thesis - Congratulations! And off for parental leave... Best wishes to the young family!
- Conference: 4th
Sino-German Frontiers of Chemistry Symposium of the CCS and
GDCh, 03.-07.09., Beijing, China. Participants: Jens (invited
- Beginn of installation of our new Laser System III (Spectra Physics Tsunami and Spitfire ACE) and
Laser System IV (Spectra Physics MaiTai and Spitfire ACE) (finished in Mar 2013).
- Conference: 111th
Bunsentagung, 17.-19.05., Leipzig, Germany. Participants:
- Rike receives a "hot topic award" for her poster -
congratulations! Leipzig seems to be Rikes city ;-)
- Group day: Great guided tour at the "Senckenbergische
Naturforschende Gesellschaft". Research "von Humboldt-style".
Afterwards we visit Solzer
for traditional local food and of course apfelwein.
- A warm welcome to our new group members Larissa Blankenburg
and Daniela Kern, who join for their BSc thesis!
- Youssef received an Alexander von Humboldt-Fellowship - Congratulations!!!
- Our new Laser System II, (Coherent Mira & Legend 800 nm, 4.5
mJ, 1 kHz, 90 fs), optical table and clean room housing is installed!
- Matthias Polkehn (Chemistry) joins us for his Abteilungspraktikum!
- Katharina handed in her BSc Thesis - an excellent reason for
liquid nitrogen ice cream!!
- 1 MEUR grant for setting up LaserLabII - a good excuse for having
- Sabrina Österitz joins the group as a new lab technician
to work in our protein lab. Welcome Sabrina, great to have you
- Invited talk (Jens): SFB 860 Kolloqium "Integrative Strukturbiologie
dynamischer makromolekularer Komplexe", 11.05., Göttingen,
- Katharina Eberl (Biophysics) joins the group for her BSc research - welcome!
- Conference: 17.
German-American Frontiers of Science Symposium, 08.-11.04.,
Beckman-Center, Irvine, CA, USA. Participants: Jens.
- Invited talk (Jens): 07.04. CaSTL
Seminar, UCI, USA.
Faraday Discussion 150: Frontiers in Spectroscopy, 06.-08.04.,
Basel, Switzerland. Participants: Andreas (Poster).
- Andreas is awarded the Skinner
Prize of the Royal Society of Chemistry. Congratulations!!
- Meeting: DECHEMA Ausschuss „Kinetik und Reaktionsmechanismen“,
10.01., Frankfurt, Germany. Participants: Jens (invited talk).
- Conference: TCSDM
2010 Transient Chemical Structures in Dense Media, 29.11.-03.12.,
Paris, France, participants: Jens (invited talk).
- Luuk van Wilderen from Imperial College joins us as a PostDoc
- Great to have you here!
- Sabrina Steinwand (Chemistry) joins us for her Abteilungspraktikum - Welcome!
- Invited talk: 12.07. IPTC
, University of Bonn, Speaker: Jens.
- Conference: PhD
Meeting of the DAS, 12.-13.07., Zurich, participant: Andreas
- Congratulations to Andreas for a DAS travel stipend!
- Invited talk (Jens): 22.06., SFB Lichtinduzierte Dynamik in molekularen
- 21.06. IFB Institute canoe trip on the Lahn river. Photos coming...
- Conference: IBBI
2010 Isolated Biomolecules and Biomolecular Interactions,
12.06.-17.06. Berlin, participants: Jens (invited talk).
- Conference: ICUSD
2010 International Conference on Ultrafast Structural Dynamics,
07.06.-10.06. Lausanne, participants: Andreas (poster), Rike (talk).
- 60th Meeting
of Nobel Laureates. participant: Rike. See here
for an interview with Rike. Obviously it was great fun!
- Conference: Bunsentagung
2010, 13.05.-15.05., Bielefeld, participants: Andreas
(talk), Jens (talk), Rike (Poster).
- Conference: ACS
Spring Meeting, 21.-25.03., San Francisco, USA, participant:
- Rike got accepted as a participant of the 60th
Meeting of Nobel Laureates. from June 27 to July 2 2010, at
Lindau (Germany) - congratulations!
- The Bredenbeck group continues in Frankfurt. Jens accepted the
offer of the University of Frankfurt for a full Professorship
(W3) in Biophysics. He had to decline an offer from the University
of Bielefeld for a full professorship (W3) in Physical and Biophysical
- Conference: 45th Winterseminar on Biophysical Chemistry,
Molecular Biology and Cybernetics of Cell Function, 09.01.-23.01.,
Klosters, Switzerland, participants: Jens (invited talk), Andreas
- Symposium on Light Regulation in Chemistry and Biology
in Schloss Rauischholzhausen, 09.11.-10.11., participants: Manuel,
- Conference: Deutsche
Physikerinnentagung in Frankfurt, 05.11.-08.11., Rike speaks
about our work on energy transfer.
- Finn Bredenbeck is born on 01.11.
- Newspaper article about our research and the ADUC award appears
Frankfurter Rundschau (19.03.). [pdf]
- Rike got accepted as a participant of the MentorinnenNetzwerk
- happy networking!
- Andreas got accepted as a participant of the 59th
Meeting of Nobel Prize Winners in Chemistry from June 28 to
July 3 2009, at Lindau (Germany) - congratulations!
- Workshop: 23.03.-27.03. Ski and Science Workshop of the PTC
in Hirschegg, Austria, Waldemar
Petersen-Haus, participants: Rike, Andreas, Jens.
- Workshop: 18.03.-21.03. 4th Ringberg meeting on Molecular Physics
participants: Jens (invited talk).
- Jens recieves the ADUC
Award (ADUC Jahrespreis für Habilitanden) of the
Society at the Chemiedozententagung in Göttingen (08.03.-11.03.).
- Invited talk (Jens): 05.03. Université Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg.
- Congratulations to Eliza-Beth for being awarded a well deserved
Research Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers!
- Damien is leaving us for his new job at the PETAL
petawatt laser facility, a forerunner to the HiPER
project. Be carefull with the kJ pulses!
- We are happy to welcome Eliza-Beth Lerch from Steve
Leone's Group at Berkeley
as a postdoc!
- Cycling trip along the Main River with the Wachtveitl Group,
participants: Andreas, Eliza-Beth, Jens, Rike, Yunliang.
- Invited talk: 14.07., University of Tübingen, speaker:
- Andreas is awarded the ETH Silver Medal for an outstanding master
thesis - congratulations! He presented our work at the Ultrafast
2008 in Stresa, Italy [ .pdf
- Invited talk: 25.05., Institute of Physical Chemistry, University
of Kiel, speaker: Jens.
- Invited talk: 09.05., University of Konstanz, speaker: Jens.
- First thesis from Frankfurt: Rike handed in her diploma thesis
in biochemistry - congratulations!
- Conference: 01.05-03.05. Bunsentagung,
participants: Jens (talk).
- Invited talk: 25.04., Institute of Organic Chemistry, University
of Giessen, speaker: Jens.
- Andreas won a prestigious Kekulé-scholarship
of the FCI
(Fonds der Chemischen Industrie) - congratulations!
- Conference: 06.04.-10.04. ACS
Spring Meeting, New Orleans, USA, participants: Jens (talk).
- Yunliang Li from Dwayne
Millers Lab at the University of Toronto joins the group as
- Workshop: 10.03.-14.03. Ski and Science Workshop of the PTC
in Hirschegg, Waldemar
Petersen-Haus, participants: Andreas (talk), Damien.
review on transient 2D-IR spectroscopy appears in ChemPhysChem.
- Great canoeing trip with the Wachtveitl group, participants:
the whole group - i.e. Rike and Jens ;-).
- Rike Müller-Werkmeister (Biochemistry) joins the group as a diploma student!
- Our Laser System I (Spectra Physics Tsunami & Spitfire, 800
nm, 3.0 mJ, 1 kHz, 100 fs) is up and running.
- Conference: TRVS XIII in Munich, participants: Jens (talk and
- Conference: Time and space resolved methods in molecular biophysics,
Meeting of the German Biophysical Society, participants: Jens